For more than six years, The Refugee Project volunteers have been organising activities for children and adult refugees and asylum seekers in the reception centres in Sofia. Their efforts play an active role in the integration of refugees in Bulgarian society and the educational system in particular.
Every four months the team is recruiting new volunteers to join the project. The time has come for the new group to start in March. Tasks include:
- organising activities in one or more of the following subjects: Bulgarian language and orientation, English language, maths and science, computer skills, art, sports, theatre, gardening or music;
- engaging the attention and interest of children, adolescents and adults who attend classes;
- planning and organising activities as part of a small team;
- participation in the organisation of extracurricular activities: trips, events and tournaments, visits to museums, theaters, cinemas and more.
Volunteers can also get engaged in fundraising activities and promotion of the project.
CVS - Bulgaria and Caritas Sofia.
Volunteers must commit to the project for the period 13 March - 31 July 2017 and lead at least 1 session per week:
- on a weekday of their choice
- in the morning (10:30 - 12:30) or in the afternoon (14:00 - 16:00)
At present The Refugee Project does not have access to the centres over the weekend.
In the registration and reception centres of the State Agency for Refugees in Sofia:
- Ovcha Kupel - 21A Montevideo St, near New Bulgarian University
- Voenna Rampa - 11 Lokomotiv St, former Professional School of Interior Architecture and Woodworking
- Vrazhdebna - 270 Botevgradsko Shosse Blvd
Volunteers can indicate in the application form which of the centres is more convenient for them.
- Willingness and ability to work with children, adolescents and adults.
- Responsibility and ability to work independently following training by coordinators of the project.
- Interest in different cultures.
- Ability to perform the tasks undertaken within the specified time limits.
- Ability to work with other volunteers to plan and implement the activities.
- Experience working with children is an advantage, as is education in social work and/or pedagogy.
- Knowledge of Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Pashtu or Kurdish would be useful; other languages a plus.
Volunteers must be over 18 years old.
There will be a short online introductory course, followed by a weekend training on 11-12 March.
How do I take part?
Click the green "I will do it" button and see how to apply.
// photo courtesy of the organiser
Apply by 19 February 2017
The mission is from 13 March 2017 until 31 July 2017
No stories published.
Once a mission you participate in ends, you can tell us how it went in a couple of sentences ("it was great" won't do).
It's simple: after the end we send you instructions - follow them. This way you earn points and rise in rank , others get inspired and we're all happy.